Saturday 3 November 2007

Hello There!

I'm not quite sure where to start today, so I'm going to jump right in! The got some incredible food here! I have 3 favorite resturants right down the street. At the one, which is Cantonese, They do this bite-sized chicken you have to gnaw at and the remove the bones with your fingwers (or spit them out, the Chinese way), with whole pieces of garlic. THen the 3 vegetable dish with Daikon, eggplant, and pepper. I actually think I have mentioned this meal before! Have an awesome Indian resturant, and then a Chinese diner, where my favorite is the 'Beef and cucumber Pancakes," which is nothing like what we think of as a pancake. I just got this drink that looked like it could be a chocolate egg cream or a chocolate milkshakeWhen we first got here Norm order a Berry Muffin some place, and an hour later they brought out half a waffle with beautifully carved apples! Go figure. That being said, I've started to look a little 'Britney,' which brings me to my latest favorite thing. I just joined this club (sort of like soho house or a country club). It's called the Ambassy because it is right across from the American Embassy and literally 2 blocks from my place! I just got back from 3 hours, at the gym, then doing laps in the heated indoor pool, and then relaxing in the suana and jacuzzi! The bast part is, I practically have the place to myself! I am very excited about it! I haven't been in a gym since I left NY, about 4 months ago, so it feels really good! Poor Norman has the cold I had a week ago and has been in bed all day. We finally finished the 4th season of LOST so we can get our life back (Got really addicted to it...we still don't have English cable...)!! I got the tailor ladies to make me some curtains for my little room/the guest room. They are so funny. If they want to show you something or tell you something, they will grab my arm, or tap me with their hand over and over again. At first I thought 'that's rude' but it's really just the way they communicate. If I do it back to them they get a good laugh out of it too! Wed. we had our friend Panthea, who is a well-known journalist here, and her friend Simon, who is from...I want to say Thornsbury? Right outside Bristol! We had a lovely meal and good chatter, then Norm made Bannanas Foster, which was so good! Then we went to a party at the MOCA, which is Shanghai's modern art museum. We stood out in our costumes, but it was nice to see so many people put forth an effort! Youtube is back on! Been working and keeping busy. I'm actually exhausted right now, so this is more or less a boring blog today just to say Hi. MIss you folks! Love, Amelia

No comments: