Wednesday 21 November 2007

Going to Hanoi!

Hey There everyone! Happy Thanksgiving! I have to say, I will definitely miss the turkey and pumpkin pie this year! These last 2 weeks have ben a bit rough. I got a chest cold, then Norm got a chest cold, then I had a stomach bug, then Norm had a stomach bug...But we seem to be doing better now! (Knock on wood!) Reports from friends say that it is Normal to be sick on and off for the first 3 months you are here, but the recent report says even the locals are sick and it is just cold and flu season like it is every where else in the world! Oh, someone recently left a comment on one of my blogs, but I can't see it! :( I got so excited, but when I tried to look I got blocked again, still have no idea what I have been writing, so please feel free to email me.... ameliakallman@hotmail.com.

Went to a Buddhist temple the other day. It wasn't a touristy one, it was very real and private one. We were out on the bikes exploring and happened upon the temple. It is 2 kwai to go in, and they give you incense to burn. I guess I crashed a Buddhist funeral. There were monks chanting, banging on drums, woman burning pictures of a man. One guy nicely informed me I had to hold the incense in my left hand. The Temple is so beautiful, I would've loved to have taken pictures, but didn't feel it was appropriate. Then they burnt paper money. It was really interesting to see! So they have stores filled with stuff for shrines. One thing I get a kick out of are these boxes with paper replicas of things like Louis Vutton suits, sunglasses, cars, cigarettes, giant dollhouse looking paper structures where every room has an AC and big screen TV, and a cop standing guard outside! These are things that you wish for or presents you present the gods in hopes that it will come true?! You don't ever actually see them sitting around the shrines, so I suspect they burn them?! I really don't know but am fascinated by the stuff! To me it is hilarious, but I bet they take it pretty seriously! If you have some incite, please let me know! I will post a few pics of what I am talking about now on my flicker site! www.flickr.com/photos/ameliakallman

So we leave to go to Hanoi, Vietnam in an hour! I am SO excited! It is supposed to be warm and beautiful! I just read a friend of a friend's blog who has been there and it sounds like a very fun, interesting place to be! I liked the part when she said everything was so cheap you feel guilty if you Don't buy stuff! haha! When we return our friend Joey Altruda from LA will be coming! We are going to have a big party while he's here too! I'm working on my Chinese and had a first experience with a woman in a store, actually communicating with her! It was so exciting! Anyways, just wanted to wish you all a Happy Turkey Day! I told my mom we had to do this meal when I am home for my visit! I will write a blog when I am in Hanoi or get back!

No comments: