Wednesday 17 October 2007

New Post

Hey There! I know it's been over a week...my apoligies. Everything has been going well. Went to see Dan the Automater the other night which was a lot of fun. Met some cool people and hung out with some new friends. My bike got stolen today! :( I got a new one already though and 'pimped' it out so there is no mistaking it! It is blue and now has yellow spirals and racestripes....I've been getting a workout from it too! The locals are getting a big kick out of Norm and I! Anytime we stop and do anything on the street we get a big crowd around us and pretty soon Norm's singing and dancing away! He had about 20 people laughing and clapping! So funny! We can say anything and no one understands us, so between the two of us we are having a riotous time and they seem to be eager to be entertained! There is a real sense of community in this nieghborhood. I can feel it even though I don't speak the language. Guys playing cards, getting very dramatic with crowds around. Everyone spits constantly! The clearing of the throat sound heard right before the wad could be the theme of Shanghai! Also, the bikes are all one gear so they say that is the speed of Shanghai, it can actually be measured! I was reminded of that when I was complaining business happens at an LA pace here! We had a lovely dinner at a friends house last week. It was very much a Welcome to Shanghai party for us...A lot of cool, creative people. It was a great time! We went to a friend's gallery and then to a jewelry and art expo with some incredible stuff for sale! I liked their gourmet hors d'oeurves, not exactly pigs in a blanket! We are getting used to real life here and it is pretty satisfying. Last night we rode our bikes all the way across town to the night market where we ate terriyaki beef and a sweet and sour fish they referred to as 'squirrel shaped.' I'm pretty sure I ate some fish brains....and I think I liked them too! Had lunch with a new friend the other day. He is from Queens, NY and has opened a mambo and salsa studio here. Very nice guy, helped me get a Shanghai cell phone too because he speaks Chinese and can negotiate good! I can text message in Chinese and english now! YOu negotiate everything here! My new favorite phrase is Tao qui le! (Too expensive!) Have been having some nice ichats with some people, so they can say they have seen the new apartment! It is getting chilly here. Time for a new wardrobe! If it was only that simple...Guys, I'm going to get girly for a minute, you might want to skip this part...ok- #1. They don't make shoes my size! I know! And I only came with 6 pairs, 3 of which are summer, and 2 pairs are not the walking about type if you know what I mean. I can probably find shoes my size in western stores in the mall but they are just as expensive as London then. #2. Their fashion sucks. It's like they are going for something that I've seen work before, like beads and sequence....good in theory but constructed so randomly and in the wrong places....it's kind of funny actually. I saw a shirt today that said in huge pink letters "Dated Her There".... ? #3...last one...Even the good clothes, clothes I think are cute-not neccessarily my style, but wearable, are all meant to give these cute Chinese girls curves where they don't have 'em....that's not exactly a problem for me, so everything makes me look really disproportioned and strange..... And then on top of all this I get buyers guilt because of all the clothes I have in the states, and then I get depressed because I miss them. I've been wearing the same 5 outfits way too long! Anyways. I'm done. Sorry. Anyways! The house is coming along lovely! I will take a video tomorrow of the house and maybe one during the party....Did I mention the party? We are having a house-warming toast tomorrow! It should be fun! We've been putting up pictures, buying plants....it's all coming together great! The Shanghai stocks reached an all time high yesterday, doubling that of last year... I have a lot of friends saying they are coming these days and my friends here are always having visitors. I suspect as we get closer to the Olympics this city will become increasingly popular. I understand why! Oh! I live in a nieghborhood with a Deaf school! I've been watching people sign and I have a feeling I might be able to communicate better with Deaf Chinese than hearing! I'm researching it a bit. I'm pretty sure Chinese sign was founded by a westerner post ASL. I'm intrigued by it! Keep you posted! Thanks for listening, more soon!

No comments: