Saturday 6 October 2007

Great Weekend

So Friday was a spectacular day! It was the Yue Festival, with Talib Kweli, Ozomatli, and Faithless. As a huge fan of Talib I have been looking forward to this concert since I got here. When we went to buy the tics we inquired about VIP passes, backstage etc, claiming we were very important people from NY, friends with Talib etc... (it makes all the difference in the world when you can enjoy a concert hanging with the musicians, using clean toilets, getting free drinks, being able to sit down and not to mention, being onstage watching from the sidelines next to one of your favorite musicians!) Anyways, we got told we had to be on Talib's list. I said ok. Went home and I emailed him, he called me, put us on the list and there you have it! He put on an amazing show! It is a wonder to me how they rap and breathe at the same time, and he went on for an hour and a half. Truly amazing if you ask me! In NY I would never have been able to get in like that, but here, Norm and I were the only fans backstage and it's just because I had the courage to ask! When it came down to it, they didn't even look at the list, just looked at us and believed me! It makes me think that I could pretty much hang with whoever I want to when they come here. I think there is an 'out of your element' feeling being a westerner out here at first, and an eagerness to connect to welcoming, connectted people. It was such a good time! He was very cool and polite and I found myself unusually shy! They got a big kick out of Norm, and he was very interested in our club etc. Then we watched Ozomatli from the stage before going out and joing the crowd. We left before Faithless, which is the big one for the Chinese audiences. It's funny, musical tastes here are very different from in the states it seems. The Chinese go nuts over dj's here and they are celebrities. Had a great dinner and then went to Logo for Reggae night, which is a very cool back room bar, with a dark red, secret vibe, blasting great reggae, people improvising on the mic, smoke, it kind of feels like a different place and time. Met a nice girl there. Oh yeah, and the night before we checked out The Cotton Club down the street and it was packed! The band itself was like watered down college/white guy jazz, we both looked at eachother and thought how Joey or Roger would just blow this crowd away! People drinking absinthe, smoking cigars. THis place is a trip! Everyday I fall in love more with this place. The weather has been perfect, sunny and warm with a breeeze. Bought bikes yesterday. Today we are getting together with some friends, hopefully next weekend we will have a house warming party (with our 4 friends!) haha! It's funny, that statement is kind of true, but I don't feel lonely or unconnected anymore, I'm very excited to see how it all unfolds! Enough for now! Thanks for reading!

No comments: