Tuesday 24 July 2007

Impressions

I haven't been abroad since 2003 when I did a stint at Oxford. At the time I was very studious and didn't spend much time sightseeing. I did see Stonehenge, which was brilliant, and a lot of good theatre. Being here in London now, socializing and observing, there is a lot to take in. A lot more differences than I had initially seen. As similar as it appears, I very much feel like an American abroad! We are staying in a lovely English house in an adorable urban nieghborhood. The smell here is very pure and clean, the lavender and jasmine are potent. Kids playing in the street. There is the loveliest, public, manicured park around the way, I'm not sure I have even seen one quite like it. Gorgeous flower beds, a community cafe with tons of kids and everyone knows each other, fields, an aviary, and a view that overlooks the city that is just breath-taking. Last night I had my first piece of fish since I got here. I can't remember the last time I've eaten meat so many times in a row! I've been out socializing in different circles and it seems to me, especially in more 'mature' crowds, that smoking and drinking are just something you start doing when you wake up in the morning until you go to sleep at night....with many cups of tea inbetween. People have been really kind to me, for the most part. I'm a little anxious to hang in out a slightly younger crowd, just to see how cool they really are ;) ....tomorrow night I am going out with my friend, Emma, to see a performance artist, and hopefully I will get to meet up with a friend from highschool. Yesterday, when it rained I really missed being able to call or text my friends, but I am writing a lot, exercising, reading, and really enjoying my time here. Meeting lots of interesting people as well. America has a increasing bad reputation and our current politcs are common jokes. I've been asked several times, "Do Americans have any idea how the world currently sees you?" It's been something I've been reflecting on a lot...

1 comment:

Tedi said...

Love reading this. I have a friend in Ukraine serving in the Peace Corps and I check her blog all the time... while at work of course. So, this one has been bookmarked too.

London is a European city I've yet to visit. You are convincing me to move it closer to the top of my list, though knowing some people there would heighten the experience I'm sure.