Tuesday 5 February 2008

I'm back!

HEy there everyone! Sorry I've been MIA, been very busy! So I have no idea what I wrote last, and seeing as I can't read it myself you'll have to bare with me! The weather here has been unbelievable! I was in Va and NY for 2 weeks telling everyone 'The weather's about the same in Shanghai, except it doesn't really snow." When I came back there was a bout 5 inches of snow on the ground and it was still snowing! The Chinese were not prepared for this, and being Chinese New Year (It's the one week a year when the migrant workers get off work and get to travel back to see their families) everyone is packed in like sardines and Very unhappy at the train and bus stations. Cars have been in gridlocks for days, the trains keep freezing. A few hundred people have died, roofs have collapsed, there are whole cities without power and water. They have one million troops out on the streets trying to keep the peace. Makes me feel really blessed to be in Shanghai, where it is a lot more modern than many parts of Shanghai, and we have plenty of heat and water. So this is my first Chinese New Year! It starts tomorrow and we are having some friends over to make dumplings and then go out on the street to witness the firecrackers and pandemonium that this week is famous for. And it is supposed to be like this (nonstop fireworks and firecrackers) for about ten days! Last week two of our bikes got stolen, Mine (which was very unique and pretty, I had taped it up and made it look different from all the rest) and the spare. That is 3 out of four bikes stolen in 5 months! Our landlord was really sweet though and bought us 2 second-hand bikes that basically don't look new and shiny and therefore are less likely to be stolen.

Things with the club are coming along swimmingly, a lot of the business stuff is working out and I had a great meeting with our choreographer in NY and am just so excited about the whole thing! I don't want to say too much because it's bad luck to talk business until after the new year, so that's enough about that! (I sound so Chinese huh?) :)

Funny, when I was back in New York I got caught and ridiculed a few times because discussing politics or what have you, I'd say, "Well, see, YOU guys...." (Like I'm Chinese now!) So funny!

Speaking of my trip home, had a great time! SO great to see my folks, they are so much fun and so cool! Got to hang with my sister a bit, she's doing really great. Saw the grandparents (not doing so great), and then saw some old high school friends, which was also extremely nice! NEw York was a crazy time, I saw 50+ friends in 5 days! Stayed with Scotty and Sylvia in a great apartment on 55th street, had my own key, and they were so kind to have me! Worked out very well and they are now looking at moving to Shanghai! My friend Sonya that was here for a visit before is here now, scoping it out some more before she goes to Thailand for a few weeks. Joey Altruda will be out here again shortly. Have heard some interesting rumors about a few famous people we might be entertaining in a few weeks, but I won't say anything else about that, cause I'm cool like that! :) It was really great to spend some quality times with friends and family, but after the whirlwind that was/is NY, I felt like my choices had been confirmed and it felt great to get back here in Shanghai, though it took me Days to adjust! When I was back in Va I was waking up at 4am, 7am, my parents have never seen me voluntarily wake up that early EVER!

Have had a nice welcome back, seeing friends etc. Afraid I might be coming down with the cold Norm had when I got back though. Will post the pics from my trip home soon, been meaning to do that. We're curling up and watching DVD's for a few days because literally everything is closed during the New Year!

Bought a piece of art in New York, which I am SOO excited about! It is by the artist David Combs who paints the Chelsea Hotel. Norm and I both fell in love the original, which David Bard bought before it was even done, but we got that painting in a 3-D version, which compliments his style and vision amazingly! I'll put a pic of it up as well!

That's about all I got in me right now. We are about to have homemade Chicken soup that has been on the stove for 5 hours now!
Shenang Kuile! Happy New YEar!
xxoo

No comments: