Monday 10 September 2007

The World keeps getting smaller...

I put up some new pics just now on www.flickr.com/photos/ameliakallman. We switched hotels over to the island of Hong KOng and have the penthouse with a beautiful view! We went over to my friend Pemberton's sister's apartment for dinner the other night and had a lovely time! Her husband is also from FAIRFAX VA (Where I'M from)!!!! How amazing is that? They have two adorable kids too! The oldest one is 3 and goes to a Chinese school where he speaks Chinese fluently and you can tell he is very bright. We had a nice meal and then went to a famous dessert place where they serve hot or cold sweet soup that has gooy filled dumplings! It was definitely like nothing I've ever had before! I had a black seasame soup. They are both very well traveled and we had a great time hanging out. Then Norman and I went to Lan Kwia Fam, the club/pub area were we witnessed groups of young drunk Europeans watching Rugby! We opted for some good people watching while sitting in a sandwich shop. It was surprising how it could've been anywhere.

The weather here is semi-tropical. Today it is about 90 degrees, but the humidity is down and there is a nice breeze. We are staying in the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Happy Valley, right next to the Hong Kong Jockey club. It definitely feels a lot more real here than it did in Louis Vutton-land. Last night I went to hear a guy who we met in the hotel do a lecure for the English Speaking Union. Then we had a nice dinner, had to argue over the bill after they decieved us telling them, "We're from New York. We're bad people. Take care of this, ok?" Haha...they did of course....
Tonight we are taking the tram up to the peak, they highest point in Hong Kong to watch the sunset and have a picnic. Tomorrow we hope to check out New Territories (old-style China). It is so safe here, people are very friendly and subservient. This morning at breakfast one of the waiters was standing between me and my table and another waiter shoved him out of my way apoligizing profusely! It was kind of funny, but a good example of what I mean. It's very nice and civilized here. VERY clean, no liter anywhere. Also, they have under passes to cross the street and we walked through a long one where homeless people had their areas set up and it was so impressive how clean and tidy each area was. You could see that even though they were there, they still had some pride and dignity. We figured they all must have been at the race track (gambling is huge here).
Business is working itself out. We now have so much interest I have a feeling when we get to Shanghai we will be very well received and entertained. Finally getting the whole sleeping thing down (it has been a real struggle). Went to Times Square yesterday (we are right outside of it) and found an English bookstore that made me a little home sick....I won't take that kind of thing for granted again. Anyways, having a lovely time. Looking forward to Shanghai and getting into some kind of a routine or pattern. Norman has been fabulous and we have been keeping each other laughing constantly! Just took more pictures I'll upload. (Saw a huge iguana just chillin on a grave stone! We looked at each other for an uncomfortable amount of time!) Miss my friends and family! Love to you! xx

1 comment:

Tedi said...

I'm still reading, yes. I love hearing about your adventures and new discoveries. I'll try to pop over and look at some of your pictures next. I'm sending you good luck for any upcoming business ventures!!! Keep up the posts.

Hugs,
T