Wednesday 15 August 2007

Update!

Had a great weekend! Friday I went over to Siri's for a small dinner party, which ended up being a nice group of girls which felt really good to me! We had a delicious Danish-inspired meal and lots of good laughs to go along with it! It has been so nice to see Siri (We haven't seen each other since high school) and she's been very cool and welcoming. Also, all the girls have just graduated from an arts college in ceramic design, so I got to see their final pieces! Siri's was most impressive to me, my favorite piece was a 'bling'-style necklace/whistle that is ceramic with gold faces on it. After dinner though, I felt dizzy and had to lay down. I realized I probably had what Norman had coming on. I came home and the next day still felt a bit ill, but we got picked up by one of Norman's best friends, Mister Andy Beales, who is so cool and sweet...We had lunch at this adorable old-fashioned diner "The S&M Cafe." Sefvice at resturants here takes forever!! London is so spread out too, most of the time it doesn't feel like a city at all to me. There is a lot of surburban aspects inside London, and I guess because it is so spread out....I've decided I can't compare it to NY, shouldn't try....it's very different. Parts remind me of DC too, but then again it is so obvious this country is so much older than ours. It was funny (well, not at the time!) I went to meet my friend Mikey and I was supposed to get off the tube at Oxford Cicus, but it was closed, so I got out at the next stop and conjectured walking because I'm still in the mindset of "It's like walking from 34th st. to 42nd st." But because I didn't know my way I took a cab instead, and thank goodness for that! It would have been about a thirty minute walk! At least! And cabs aren't nearly as convenient here. Anways, so after lunch we went by friends of Emma's to borrow something. Liz and Theiry live right down the street from us in an adorable 3 story apartment with a lovely roof deck....Bringing me here was a mistake. I'm almost hyper-ventalating just writing this! They design and make shoes! Not just any shoes, but the coolest shoes I've ever seen! He designed all Elton John's and Bowie's platforms in the 70's, Marilyn Manson's famous spikey, tongue platforms, you get the picture. He showed me the shoes I've been seeing Amy Winehouse in on stage- Ahhh-dorable! Them another pair that made my eyes pop out of my head, I think I wouldn't be able to wear them, I'd have to put them in a glass case! Okay- stop talking about shoes. (It has now become my goal to own a pair!) Okay, moving on! Then Andy took us on a car tour of all the sites in London, which was a fabulous way to see everything! Went to Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Parliment, Horseguard's parade, Saint Paul's etc. It was really neat to see that stuff up close! That is one big house for a little lady! Then we went over to the Beales' house where Helen (who I had met at the CHelsea Arts club for dinner before) and their two adorable daughters, Evie and Daisy (8 and 5). When we came the kids immadiately took me out to their back garden which joins with the neighbor's and showed me the kiddie pool with a slide, and a climbing thingy, and a trampaline...I broke my foot once on a trampaline, so I passed, but it was a lovely set up they had out their and the neighbor kids are the same ages. Daisy had her false eyelashes on to show me! So cute! We had a lovely chicken dinner and stayed up talking and laughing with Helen and Andy for hours! They are really great people! Oh, and it was interesting to me, everyone here is talking ART. It's very exciting what is going on here with artists like Banksy (a grafitti artist who is now the leading man in the art scene, currently going head to head with Warhol in his latest exhibit), Damian Hearst of course, and Fale, the new guy making a big splash....and we just the night before the girls who I had dinner with were telling me all about this stuff (they work in galleries) and so, I walk into the Beales' house and they have a Banksy Kate Moss (Done as Warhol's Marilyn), original Banksy's and Hearst....unbelievable! And Warhol's Mao....I was blown away by seeing these in my friend's house. He got them years ago before the big bang hit, now they have quadrupled in price! The next day they picked us up and we went to the London Eye, which is a giant ferris wheel basically. You go around in it and can see out over London in every direction. The girls were fighting to hold my hand all day, I felt very cool, they are such sweet kids. Then we went back to their hose for an afternoon snack and nap and then an amazing lamb dinner, with tons of delicious vegetables! Delightful! And Roger joined us too, brought a great bottle of wine...an all around very nice weekend! Monday I got into the creative spirit and made earphones....I know what you're thinking, but wait till you see them! They are the opposite of those dinky ipod earphones, these are more like accessories....they are going to be huge in Japan!!!! :) Then Tuesday we went to Roger's where the boys reclaimed his sprawling garden and I made another pair...I'll post pics in a bit! Then we went to The Cow for a great cozy meal. Slept good last night! Norm and I are obsessed with this game Blokus- the travel 2 person one....OBSESSED! We get pretty competitive about it! Today we are going to a museum (which one is still in question) then to someone who I haven't met yet for dinner. I don't know what is all over the papers back home but here, everyday it's Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse, and I said to Rog the other day, " I think Lily Allen has such a slight voice over decent beats, and she's only famous cause of her dad and for shooting off her mouth, what do you think about Lily Allen Roger?" He said "as a person or a singer? I'm her godfather you know..." I bit my lip. Left it at that. opps... :) Signing off, big hugs all around! xxxxx

No comments: